Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Wow....

.... it's been exactly four weeks today that Riley the buck has come to visit!
Yesterday and today, despite my assumption that last week both girls' heat had finished, he showed an extraordinary amount of interest in Poppy! So, even though I hate to interfere, I helped him getting a leg or two up. Today I think he might have done it, but I'm way tooo close to the action already and didn't really want to get any closer, so I'm not to sure.
And Tui is feeling left out! She seems to be coming into heat again too, as he was interested enough in her to do a job when she was held.

This is just all WAY TOO hands-on. I'd like to leave nature to itself and take its course, but on the same token, as Mr.10 poignantly told me: " If you want milk you need to help Riley make babies!"

Well, in 4-5 months I might see how successful this date has been.

Have to remember for next season to get a boy in earlier, and maybe one bigger than the girls: they are just to tall and stronger than Riley and just walk or run away from him. But then again, next season they might remember him and be ok?!

On the plus side, the hens have started laying again, instead of one every second day, we're now getting 3-5 every day!!!

Now I just have to keep an eye peeled for any hens going AWOL and sitting on nests. But that'll be fine too, chickies!!!!!!!


TTFN, peace and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment