Friday, January 7, 2011

15th June 2009

Back to one rooster

Posted 15th June 2009 at 10:56 AM by pisa


Unfortunately I had to get rid of two more boys, one still to small to be a serious roast, but already causing major headaches in the hen house, and his dad, Chester. Pretty boy. Unfortunately pretty boy only had one thing on his mind, and that meant he wasn't looking after the girls at all. Just chasing them!

Now we're back to Rusty, and I hope that Chester's girl, Wynnie will move on quietly. I've coaxed her into the other hen run, and Rusty has acknowledged her, now she just will have to find her place amongst the others. Five hens that have been following Rusty in the bush to get away from Chester, two pullets, who are both laying and Wynnie, a good brooding hen.

I think from now on, NO chick will be named, and only girls kept.

And YES, as I had read somewhere, the more one does, the easier it gets. The act itself, no, but improvement of techniques makes it faster to get it over and done with.

This will be enough of murderous me for this year, we've got plenty of chicken soup and who knows what next spring will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment